[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15147] DFT+U unphysical warning

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Sat Apr 17 06:00:05 UTC 2021

Hello Nick

I do not recommend the use of the PLUS_U_METHOD MULLIKEN_CHARGES. Just use the PLUS_U_METHOD MULLIKEN. The Mulliken population analysis can give unphysical orbital occupations, i.e. values greater than one (UKS case) or two (RKS case). Often the maximum occupation is only slightly exceeded and the warning can be ignored safely. You can print the orbital occupations for the orbitals affected by the +U correction with this print key<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-8_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/PRINT/PLUS_U.html> at the PRINT_LEVEL medium to check the actual occupation. Note, that the U values found appropriate with PW codes in the literature are not necessarily optimal for CP2K, too. CP2K often gives a similar effect, e.g. impact on the band gap, for smaller U values.

HTH

Matthias