[CP2K-user] Slow calculating speed of HSE06

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 9 17:32:53 UTC 2021

Another thing I suspect is tripping up this small system is the HFX
implementation in CP2K. The way CP2K calculates HFX means that periodicity
isn't handled nicely (maybe Matt can comment on why this is?) and so the HF
interaction potential needs to decay before it reaches periodic images,
this is why most people who are doing CP2K will use a truncated PBE0 with
the truncation radius of 1/2 the minimum cell dimension. For HSE06, the the
effective interaction distance is 1 / screening = 1 / .2 = 5 Angstroms. So
for a primitive cell like you have, you're actually probably unphysically
including HF effects across the periodic boundary, which could be what's
making the calculation take so long. Just further reason to use cp2k for
larger cells.