[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14074] How to make coordinate file

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 01:54:07 UTC 2020

Hi,

To add, as a general practice for condensed phase simulations: build a box
with Packmol and equilibrate it with a classical force field that does
reasonably well. Use several well-separated snapshots as initial
configurations for CP2K. For a simulation with a simple solute in it,
well-separated might mean configurations taken every 2*tau or 3*tau where
tau is the solvent-solute residence time. This can be short for weakly
interacting species but many nanoseconds for very strongly interacting
species or viscous solutions. You may even need to simulate at elevated
temperatures to reduce the residence time. If you don't know how to compute
that from the output of your preferred molecular dynamics code, I would
recommend LAMMPS for which there are many community-developed analysis
tools. Ed Maginn's group at Notre Dame has a well-rounded analysis suite
hosted on Github... PyLat or something like that. There's no unique answer
for what 'well-separated' means, this is just the criteria we use.

For this particular system, since it sounds like this might still be an
exercise, you can take one of the CP2K example files for (H2O)128, convert
one of the H2O to methanol using Avogadro or GaussView, and run from there.
If the concentration really matters for your case, then go the Packmol and
classical force field route.

-T