[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14016] Installation issues with PGI (Nvidia) compiler

Tiziano Müller tiziano... at chem.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 9 08:09:15 UTC 2020

Hi Conrad,

On 10/9/20 9:33 AM, Conrad Hillairet wrote:

> Good morning,
>
>    I am facing some issues at compile time with the PGI compiler 20.9. I
> have a general question : is it possible to use the PGI compiler to
> compile CP2K ?

I don't know about PGI 20.9, the last one I tested was 20.4: here F95(!)
support was still broken/incomplete.

Try to build the following:

https://github.com/cp2k/dbcsr/blob/develop/cmake/compiler-tests/f95-reshape-order-allocatable.f90

.. or run CMake for DBCSR and it will tell you directly:

   git clone https://github.com/cp2k/dbcsr.git
   mkdir dbcsr.build
   cd dbcsr.build
   CC=pgcc CXX=pgc++ FC=pgfortran cmake -DUSE_MPI=OFF ../dbcsr

If that succeeds but compilation fails later on, I will test again and
see whether I can come up with another test case.

> From the CP2K webpage dedicated to compiler support I get
> the feeling that GNU and Intel are usually the common choice (on x86)
> but it is still unclear to me whether it should compile with PGI and
> which compiler is usually recommended.

GNU and Intel (check versions on [1]) should work fine on x86, you can
also look at the dashboard [2] to check for system+compiler combinations.

No, PGI is not yet supported. If you have a contact at PGI/NVIDIA,
please also report the issues directly with them.

Best regards,
Tiziano

[1] https://www.cp2k.org/dev:compiler_support
[2] https://dashboard.cp2k.org/