[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14269] Re: Hybrid functional calculation problem

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 22:07:48 UTC 2020

Hi Fabian and Matt,

About the access to the memory, I ran calculations without problems for
months, using 90% of the node RAM without problems. But to check I set
ulimit -s unlimited. There are some changes, before using ulimit, the
calculation crashes and the use of RAM was so low (15%), after using
ulimit, the calculation crashes equally, but the use of RAM shows a
sustained rise to the limit and then the calculation crashes. This is a
change. I adjunct an image.

About the SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P, I will use it in the little cluster. I like
the idea of running 2 calculations as climbing steps.

I know that the number of the ERIs calculated on the fly should be 0, and
if it is different from zero, I need to use more RAM to store them and to
not calculate them at each scf step. But in the case of the little cluster,
I am using all processors and RAM resources.  But the way, the
calculation runs without problems when ERIs calculated on the fly at each
scf step, just is very slow.

About what Matt comments. In the little cluster, I have a single node with
250GB RAM. Then I use MAX_MEMORY = 2600, this is a total of 166.4 GB for
the ERIS (the output informs 143 GB), and the rest for the whole program.
In the case of the big cluster, we have access to many nodes with 44 proc
and 192GB RAM, and 9 nodes with 44 proc and 768GB RAM. In the first case, I
use 5 nodes (220 proc) using all memory (960GB), setting MAX_MEMORY = 4000
(4.0 GB * 220 proc = 880 GB RAM for ERIs). In the second case, I use 5
nodes (220 proc) using all memory (3840GB), setting MAX_MEMORY = 15000
(15.0 GB * 220 proc = 3300 GB RAM for ERIs).
In both cases the calculation crashes... I do not know if I am so credulous
, but 3.3 TB of RAM seems, at least, enough to store so many of the ERIs...

Using the data informed in the output of little cluster:
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's calculated:
4879985997918
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's stored in-core:
 116452577779
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's stored on disk:
    0
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's calculated on the fly:
 4763533420139

The stored ERI's are the 1/42 of the total ERIs, and use 166.4 GB (143 GB
informed)... Then if I want to store all of them, I need 166.4 GB * 42 =
~7.0 TB... Is that correct?
I can get 7.0 TB RAM using 9 nodes with 768 GB RAM each one. But I am not
so clear about the idea that the amount of RAM is the problem, because in
the little cluster it runs, calculating almost all ERIs at each scf step...

I am a little surprised why the calculation runs in the little cluster, but
not in the big one.
Do you guess some other related problem?

Regards - Lucas