[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14265] Re: Hybrid functional calculation problem

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:23:46 UTC 2020

Dear Fabian,

Thanks for your advise. I forgot to clarify the time ejecution... my
mistake.
The calculation runs for 5 or 7 minutes, and stops... the walltime for the
calculation was set as 72hrs, then I do not believe this is the problem.
Now I am running the same input in a littler cluster (different form the
problematic crash) with 64 proc and 250GB RAM, and the calculation works
fine (so so slow, 9 hr per scf step, but runs... the total RAM assigned for
the ERI's is not sufficient but the problem is not appear)... It is no
practical to use this little cluster, then I need to fix the problem in the
big one, to use more RAM and more processors (more than 220 it is
possible), but as the program does not show what is happening, I cannot
tell anything to the cluster admin to recompile or fix the problem. :(

This is the output in the little cluster:

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
 Change

  HFX_MEM_INFO| Est. max. program size before HFX [MiB]:
 1371

 *** WARNING in hfx_energy_potential.F:605 :: The Kohn Sham matrix is not
 ***
 *** 100% occupied. This may result in incorrect Hartree-Fock results. Try
***
 *** to decrease EPS_PGF_ORB and EPS_FILTER_MATRIX in the QS section. For
 ***
 *** more information see FAQ: https://www.cp2k.org/faq:hfx_eps_warning
 ***

  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of cart. primitive ERI's calculated:
27043173676632
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's calculated:
4879985997918
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's stored in-core:
 116452577779
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's stored on disk:
    0
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of sph. ERI's calculated on the fly:
 4763533420139
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Total memory consumption ERI's RAM [MiB]:
143042
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Whereof max-vals [MiB]:
1380
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Total compression factor ERI's RAM:
6.21
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Total memory consumption ERI's disk [MiB]:
    0
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Total compression factor ERI's disk:
 0.00
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Size of density/Fock matrix [MiB]:
  266
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Size of buffers [MiB]:
   98
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Number of periodic image cells considered:
    5
  HFX_MEM_INFO| Est. max. program size after HFX  [MiB]:
 3834

     1 NoMix/Diag. 0.40E+00 ******     5.46488333    -20625.2826573514
-2.06E+04

About the SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P, I read that to use it, you need a very good
guess (more than de GGA converged one) as for example the last step or
frame from a GEO_OPT or MD... Is it really useful when the guess is the GGA
wavefunction?
About the CUTOFF_RADIUS, I read that 6 or 7 it is a good compromise, and as
my cell is approximately twice, I use the minimal image convention to
decide the 8.62 number which is near the recomended (6 or 7). If I reduce
it, does the computational cost diminish considerably?

Regards - Lucas