[CP2K-user] Fixing charge sloshing in slab

ub udit.b... at gmail.com
Mon May 25 21:51:13 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I am performing charged supercell calculations for doped Si/SiO2
structures. However while doing energy calculations, I observed charge
sloshing and the energy never converges. To try to fix this issue, I have
so far tried to:

1) Playing with the smearing by changing the electronic temperature of the
Fermi-Dirac smearing scheme. We tried, both, increasing and decreasing the
electronic temperature however this did not help with convergence.
2) Removing smearing of electronic states all together. This also did not
help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could converge such a system. I
do not believe there are any dangling bonds or other defects present in the
system, so the fact that the structure is a slab must be the issue. The
system is also quite huge (15A x 15A x 44A approx).

I am also attaching one example of such an energy force calculation (both
.cpki and .cpko files).

Any leads are appreciated! =)

Best regards,
ub