[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13372] Problem with geometry optimization using LS_SCF

Thomas Kühne tku... at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:59:44 UTC 2020

Dear Torstein,

beside the advice by Fabian to reduce the numerical noise within the forces to improve
the convergence of the geometry optimization, set EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER to 3 for
consistency. Since the sign-method is an alternative to diagonalization, which is at variance
to OT that is a direct minimization method (inspite the fact that the minimization steps
are also called SCF iterations within CP2K!), the largest difference is due to the rather
simplistic mixing. You may try to use DIIS acceleration (LS_DIIS T together with appropriate
values for INI_DIIS & NMIXING) or BROYDEN_MIXING inside RHO_MIXING.

Cheers,
Thomas

tdku... at mail.upb.de
+49/(0)5251/60-5726