[CP2K-user] Benefit of contracted basis?

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Fri May 8 18:05:26 UTC 2020

Hello all, a quick question:

When employing an auxiliary basis for a system, we have a choice of many
such as FITx, cFITx, cpFITx... I understand that the "x" refers to the
number of Gaussian exponents, and that the prefix indicates whether you are
using uncontracted, contracted, or contracted with additional polarization
functions, respectively. What I don't know is why you would choose
contracted/uncontracted. Both end up having the same number of primitive
basis functions in your calculation if I understand correctly. So what is
the use of having one over the other?

Thanks for your help.

-Nick