[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13013] Pseudopotential Energy

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 29 03:50:42 UTC 2020

Thank you for your reply Jurg. If you could help clear up one more thing,
it would be greatly appreciated:

The reason I ask is because I have normally used VASP, but am now moving to
CP2K. In VASP, if I wanted to calculate the energy change from inserting,
say, an extra proton, I would run two MD simulations for the system with
and without the proton and take the difference in average total energy.
However, if I do this with CP2K, I get huge differences in energy (100s of
eV), and I would assume this is because VASP subtracts the pseudopotential
energy (in POTCAR, this is EATOM) from the final energy, so it simplifies
the process. So, based on your response, to get a comparable energy
difference, the pseudopotential energies need to be subtracted away.

Assuming the above reasoning is correct, is the energy that I would need to
subtract away the "Total Pseudopotential Energy" reported in the output
file? Or is it "Total Energy"? (Output snipped copied below to make sure
we're on the same page).

>                   Iteration          Convergence
> Energy [au]
>
>  *******************************************************************************
>                           1         1.95724
> -22.935453470232
>                           2         3.60956
> -22.583740788889
>                           3        0.253659
> -23.931824925834
>                           4        0.902351E-02
> -23.939137392463
>                           5        0.379871E-02
> -23.939145271550
>                           6        0.239125E-02
> -23.939146295400
>                           7        0.381467E-04
> -23.939146966990
>                           8        0.294202E-04
> -23.939146967060
>                           9        0.244973E-06
> -23.939146967163
>  Energy components [Hartree]           Total Energy ::
> -23.939146967163
>                                         Band Energy ::
> -4.144745339043
>                                      Kinetic Energy ::