[CP2K-user] Convergence of OT with transition metals

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 18 23:31:19 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I have been working on some calculations for transition metal oxides and
have found the convergence to be very poor. Apparently this is a well known
issue, but most recommendations for how to deal with this are for
diagonalization based methods, and I would like to take advantage of OT if
possible.

Are there agreed upon settings to help converge systems with TMs? I can
simply try every preconditioner, vary the band gap guess, try different
minimizers, etc... but this brute force approach may take a long time.

Best,
Nick Winner