[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13504] Classical Forcefield

Pierre Cazade pierre.a... at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 09:55:10 UTC 2020

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer. I agree there's no way to reproduce the Thole
potential with how the core-shell model is, to my understanding,
implemented in CP2K. My question is how one can extract q_core, q_shell,
and k_cs from, let's say, CHARMM or AMOEBA Thole parameters. For
example, for sodium and SWM4 in CHARMM, one can find:

ATOM SOD  SODD     1.000  ALPHA -0.157

ATOM OH2  ODW      0.00000  TYPE DOH2    ALPHA -0.97825258 THOLE 1.3

I assume the first value means q=q_core+q_shell. Then, there's the
polarizability which I assume is in A**3. In CHARMM, k_cs=1000
kcal/mol/A**2 for all Drude oscillators. Finally, I think this
relationship makes it possible to deduce k_cs and q_shell from one another:

k_cs = (q_shell)**2/alpha (obviously one takes the absolute value of the
alpha provided by CHARMM)

The problem here is the homogeneity of the units. There's a missing
conversion factor. So I wonder if anyone tried this before and what
would it be? Finally there's the question of the sign of the q_shell. Is
it given by the sign of the alpha parameter in CHARMM topology file? If
so, it means all shells in CHARMM have a negative sign. Is it standard
in the core-shell model for the charge of the shell to be negative?

Similar questions arise when checking AMOEBA. Again for water:

polarize    349          0.8370     0.3900    350
polarize    350          0.4960     0.3900    349

Here, the Thole factor (0.39) seems to be the same for all atom type
save a couple of them. However, the polarizability is positive. Is it
assumed that all shell charges are again negative or is the sign decided
by other means? What is the meaning of the last column? Is it part of
the exclusion list?

I do realize this is an obscure forcefield discussion and that CP2K
forum might not be the best place for this.

My issue is that I need a polarizable model of water that can be used in
CP2K and that is somewhat compatible with CHARMM36m for proteins. So, if
anyone knows such a water model, I would be grateful if you could share it.

Thanks,
Pierre

--
Dr Pierre Cazade, PhD