[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13612] strange curve of the binding energy of Na-Cl

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 21:43:49 UTC 2020

The energy at 10.0 A is not a well behaved as "real large distance"...
remember the ion interact throw coulomb interaction, charges of +1 and -1
have a interaction energy at 10.0 A of 1.4 eV, if we use this crude
approximation, the energy of the minima is -4.5 eV respect to "converged
large distance". Also you can calculate the isolated Na⁺ and Cl⁻, to get
the infinite distance reference.
But if you want numeric accuracy, you need to use a better basis set at
least, with diffuse and TZ, and maybe another functional.