[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12807] Band alignment calculations

Patrick Gono patri... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:47:30 UTC 2020

Dear Elham,

You need two calculations. A bulk calculation where you align the band
edges with respect to the average electrostatic potential. And a slab
calculation with vacuum, where you align the average electrostatic
potential in the center layers of the slab with respect to the vacuum
potential.

In CP2K, the average electrostatic potential over the whole cell is set to
zero. Hence, the bulk calculation only consists in running a CELL_OPT of a
big enough supercell, and taking the values of the Fermi level and the
HOMO-LUMO gap. The Fermi level represents the position of the valence band
with respect to the average electrostatic potential, and the Fermi level +
gap is then the conduction band. This calculation gives you the alignment
of the band edges with respect to the average electrostatic potential.

For the vacuum calculation, you have to make sure you have a thick enough
slab (so that the electrostatic potential in the middle layers behaves like
the bulk one) and a thick enough vacuum layer, so that there the potential
is flat. Run a GEO_OPT of the slab with vacuum, and then perform an ENERGY
calculation on the resulting geometry with the V_HARTREE_CUBE option in the
PRINT section inside DFT set to .TRUE.
Next, project the .cube file of the average potential along the axis
perpendicular to the interface. Then, take the value in the middle of the
vacuum region, and subtract the average over the central-most layer(s)
inside the slab. This gives you the alignment of the average electrostatic
potential with respect to vacuum.

You see now that combining the results of the two yields the desired
alignment.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Gono