[CP2K-user] Issues with tight binding methods

Pierre-André Cazade pierre.a... at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 11:18:07 UTC 2020

Dear CP2K users,

I am trying to perform a cell_opt on a quercetin crystal. It is a simple
organic crystal with 130 atoms. I want to test how well tight binding
methods perform compared with a DFT calculation and a classical forcefield
one. However, neither DFTB nor XTB work. The only way to perform the
calculation is to disable the SCF cycle, otherwise the energy becomes
positive and never converges. I get a relatively decent structure with DFTB
in that case but it feels rather unsatisfactory. Also, it seems that the
various options available for DFTB have little or no impact when the cycle
is disabled, be it DO_EWALD, DISPERSION, or DIAGONAL_DFTB3. In particular,
the D3 dispersion seems to have no effect whereas the default uff one leads
to a contraction of the unit cell.

I tried to vary the GMAX in the Ewald sum, I played with multi_cell and
kpoints, but nothing seems to make it possible to converge the scf cycle.
Worse, increasing the number of kpoints seems to be detrimental to the
crystal structure when optimised with the scf cycle off.

I am surprised that neither DFTB nor XTB work for this simple system,
despite tight binding methods being used more and more to study organic
co-crystals. I am looking forward to your insight.

Regards,
Pierre