[CP2K-user] SCF_GUESS: using restart with atomic guess for additional atoms

Sergey Chulkov sergeya... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 12:04:51 UTC 2020

Hi Fabian

You can find a basic implementation of this feature in cp2k 7.1 as a branch
'v7.1.0-atomic_restart' here
<https://github.com/schulkov/cp2k/tree/v7.1.0-atomic_restart>. In order to
use atomic guess together with a previously written restart file, please
append new atoms to the end of your &COORD section or xyz file, and then
enable this feature as 'SCF_GUESS atomic_restart'.

Many features available for the regular restart guess have not been ported
yet for the hybrid atomic/restart guess. Among them are RTP wave-functions,
k-points, the ability to reduce the size of the basis set and to change the
number of spin-components of the wave-function. For a complete
implementation there should be a way to recompute the electron density on a
3D grid by using MOs from the restart file. In order to do so, original
atomic positions and the basis set need to be known. One option could be to
save this information into the wave-function restart file along with MO
coefficients. In addition to the generic atomic/restart guess, it will also
allow to reorder atoms in &COORD section. The problem is that it will break
backward compatibility.

Sergey