[CP2K-user] [CP2K:5398] Re: graphite in CP2K

fa...@gmail.com fabia... at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 09:55:20 UTC 2020

 Dear Dmitrii,

The correct cell dimensions depend on the slab you built. I have never used
avogardo, but I assume it gives you this information somehow.

*"It seems that energy does not decrease much."*
The energy decreases by about 50 Hartree, or 3.5 eV per atom, in 6
iterations. This indicates that the initial structure was not even remotely
close to reasonable.

In the orthorhombic case the change is smaller, but 14 hartree is still far
too large.

I suggest you start with a smaller number of atoms to get a feeling for the
system without having to wait so long. First, optimize bulk graphene
(https://www.cp2k.org/howto:geometry_optimisation) and also try to relax
the cell dimensions. When you have done that, use the result to build the
slab.

Cheers,
Fabian