[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13768] Can I calculate the internal energy from NPT simulations or does the thermostat complicate things?

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:48:14 UTC 2020

Hi!

I never do it using AIMD, but for classical dynamics, the internal energy
(E or H) in well behaved NPT simulations gives you a very good approach. At
least in my case, for classical NPT simulations, I could get values for gas
solutions and other types of systems with an accuracy near chemical
precision, respect to experimental data. I expect the same for AIMD, but
how the AIMD are shorter (too short compared to classical) I do not know if
the ergodicity is fulfilled, and the simulation is in a well behaved
equilibrium. I guess the NPT is not the best ensemble to do that in AIMD
due to the time coupling between the system and the barosthat is too long
compared to simulation length... NVT ensemble could be better.

Regards!