[CP2K-user] What is the principle of &fixed_atoms?

fa...@gmail.com fabia... at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 07:30:08 UTC 2020

The fractional coordinates describe the position with respect to the cell
dimension while the cartesian ones reference with respect to the the origin
(0,0,0). Therefore, changing the cell dimension (CELL_OPT) you modify the
reference for the fractional coordiates but not for the cartesian ones.

Let me give you a simple example:

Assume we have a 1D system, with a cell from 0 to L and one atom in the
middle. The fractional coordinate of the atom is 0.5, the cartesian one
L/2.
Now you fix the fractional coordinate of the atom (such that the atom
remains exactly in the middle of the cell) and change the cell length to
2*L. The new cartesian coordinate is now (2*L)/2=L even though the atom was
"fixed".

Best,
Fabian