[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13145] CELL Optimization - Energy not decreasing

Jan Elsner janel... at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:30:48 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I thought I should post an update on this.

It seems that there is a problem with using PW92 as the local correlation
part of XC functional. When I use VWN instead, the analytical and numerical
forces are equal. I attach input and output files for DEBUG runs on a
single H20 molecule using optPBE in combination with PW92 and VWN. In the
case of PW92, there is a mismatch between analytical and numerical forces.

I note that the same applies for the some of the other functionals listed
here: https://github.com/cp2k/cp2k/tree/master/data/xc_section (at least, I
can confirm that optB88 and C09 also give a mismatch between numerical and
analytical forces using the settings listed here).

Best wishes,

Jan