[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13128] How to understand/tune parameters for GAPW calculations

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Wed Apr 15 09:12:25 UTC 2020

Hi

The GAPW method in CP2K follows the basic idea of PAW by Peter Bloechl,
but has also some special features.

In the current implementation in CP2K

- there is only one augmentation charge, meaning hard and soft augmentation
  charge from the original scheme are the same. This allows to drop all the
  additional three-center correction terms in the Coulomb part. It also means
  that the minimal cutoff needed in the soft density is related to this charge,
  typically about 200 Ry.
  Bloechl's 'local potential' is not needed in this scheme.

- There are no frozen electrons/states. All electrons explicitly in the calculation
  are optimized. However, you can use GAPW also with pseudopotentials, as well as
  in mixed calculations with all-electron atoms and pseudopotential atoms.
  Atoms with "POTENTIAL ALL" need a corresponding all-electron basis set, atoms with
  a pseudopotential a corresponding pp-basis set.

- The basis sets used to expand the soft/hard densities are derived from the input
  orbital basis primitive functions. Functions with large exponents are in the hard set,
  functions with small exponents are in the soft set. The important input variable to
  control this are
  QS / EPSFIT  and  QS / EPSISO

  EPSFIT default is 10^-4. A larger value enlarges the PAW radius and more primitive are
  considered in the hard set.

  EPSISO is used to determine if a primitive is completely contained in the PAW sphere.
  Such functions are their own projectors and are handled separately.

- There are many more input variables that allow to fine tune the calculations, but
  experience shows that most of them are hardly ever used. Besides the ones mentioned above,
  I find it necessary sometimes to tighten the default values for the one-center integrations.
  This is specified in the KIND section for each atom using
  KIND / LEBEDEV_GRID  and KIND / RADIAL_GRID

I hope this helps to get started.

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland