[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13100] SCAN XC density functional: Do we have to use specific PSEUDOPOTENTIALS for SCAN? Are they available?

Vyacheslav Bryantsev vyachesla... at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 17:55:08 UTC 2020

Dear Juerg and All,

Here I provide an update for a large band gap system, consisting of Mg2+
and Cl- ions (molten salt).
Very high CUTOFF 2300 and REL_CUTOFF 100 were necessary to get converged
SCF results with SCAN-D3 XC, suitable for MD.
Using lower cutoffs, such as  CUTOFF 2000 and REL_CUTOFF 100 were not
sufficient, because it required more > 100 SCF steps for some fraction of
MD steps, which is not acceptable. Because of that, the average time for
AIMD was higher than for the case with CUTOFF 2300.

The portion of used input file is shown below. The average time for each
SCF step is 5-6 times slower compared to PBE-D3.
Is this the expected behavior? Are there any ways I can explore to speed up
SCAN-D3 calculations, used in the context of AIMD.

Thank you,
Slava

    &MGRID

      CUTOFF 2300

      REL_CUTOFF 100

!      NGRIDS 4

    &END MGRID

    &SCF

      MAX_SCF     150

      EPS_SCF     3.5E-6

      SCF_GUESS   RESTART

      &OUTER_SCF

        EPS_SCF 3.5E-6

        MAX_SCF 40

      &END

      &OT T

        MINIMIZER         CG

        PRECONDITIONER    FULL_ALL

      &END OT

    &END SCF

     &XC

       &XC_FUNCTIONAL

         &LIBXC

          FUNCTIONAL MGGA_X_SCAN

         &END LIBXC

         &LIBXC

           FUNCTIONAL MGGA_C_SCAN

          &END LIBXC

       &END XC_FUNCTIONAL

      &vdW_POTENTIAL

        DISPERSION_FUNCTIONAL PAIR_POTENTIAL

        &PAIR_POTENTIAL

           R_CUTOFF 40.0

           TYPE DFTD3

           D3_SCALING 1.0 1.324 0.0

           PARAMETER_FILE_NAME            dftd3.dat

!           REFERENCE_FUNCTIONAL SCAN

        &END PAIR_POTENTIAL

      &END vdW_POTENTIAL

    &END XC

  &END DFT

  &SUBSYS

    &CELL

      ABC                          24.450 24.450 24.450

      PERIODIC                     XYZ

    &END CELL

    &TOPOLOGY

      COORD_FILE_FORMAT XYZ