[CP2K-user] Annihilating spin contamination in CP2K

Stephen Vicchio svi... at g.clemson.edu
Tue Apr 7 20:51:10 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I hope all is well and everyone is staying safe during these interesting
times!

I have a question related to spin contamination in CP2K. Specifically, how
can account for that spin contamination and annihilate it (as can be down
in a software package such as Gaussian)?

The system I am studying is a Ni(II) cation complex supported in a
metal-organic framework (MOF). When looking at the system in the high spin
state configuration (every Ni atom contains two unpaired electrons |
MULTIPLICITY = 9 ), I'm seeing the following result:

  Ideal and single determinant S**2 :                   20.000000
20.012256

However, when I switch to the low spin state configuration (no unpaired
electrons | MULTIPLICITY = 1), I'm seeing the following result:

  Ideal and single determinant S**2 :                    0.000000
 3.078170

Comparing the ideal and single determinant values of S**2 are a good
indicator of spin contamination in the system. I see as I lower the
MULTIPLICITY value, I am seeing more spin contamination. Does anyone have
any tips for annihilating the spin contamination of my system?

For reference, I have attached sample input and output files for one of the
calculations showing my problem. At present, I am not using any smearing in
my calculations. All comments, questions, and concerns are welcome!

With much appreciation,

Stephen