[CP2K-user] Different values of "Total energy"  and " ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL" for a QS-DFT cal with no smearing.

Unmesh Mondal unmesh... at students.iiserpune.ac.in
Tue Apr 7 09:19:43 UTC 2020

Dear Users,

As a follow up to my previous question, which subroutine of the code deals
with the calculation of  final free energy (" ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL")
from the DFT energy ("Total energy") in QS-DFT?

The difference in the above mentioned quantities raises a doubt about the
forces on the atoms used in dynamics. Can someone please let me know which
energy quantity (amongst the two) is used to calculate the forces on atoms
(I have not used any smearing in the calculation)?

Please correct me if I have misunderstood any part.

Thanks
Unmesh Mondal