[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12239] Running Cp2k in parallel using thread in a PC

Pierre Cazade pierre.a... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 15:47:08 UTC 2019

Hi Nikhil,

This is an excellent question. I did not try the GPU version of CP2K
yet. I am actually trying to compile it on the cluster that I am using.

Normally, you only need to install CUDA libraries and set up the
environment variables properly. Then, the executable detects the
presence of the GPU automatically, provided you have installed the
driver from nvidia. At least, this is how gromacs behaves, for example.
Which linux distribution are you using?

If you use the GPU, avoid using too many threads. Ideally, one per GPU.

Regards,
Pierre

PS: Regarding your previous post: rather than "mpirun -n 2", try "mpirun
-np 2". Finally, on a multiple node calculation on a cluster, you can
use "mpirun -np 8 -ppn 2". The "-np" tells mpirun the total number of
MPI threads requested and the "-ppn" tells how many threads per node you
want. In the present example, I am using 4 nodes and I want 2 MPI
threads for each of them, so a total of 8. Of course, don't forget to
set the OMP_NUM_TREADS as well.

--
Dr Pierre Cazade, PhD
AD3-023, Bernal Institute,