[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12216] Spin Polarization in Kohn-Sham calculations

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Thu Sep 12 14:12:43 UTC 2019

Dear Ron

You are welcome to improve the keyword description via the "Edit on Github"<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT.html#RELAX_MULTIPLICITY> link.

Your system is a bit more advanced than a simple gas phase O2 molecule. Moreover, you use k points with Broyden mixing and Fermi smearing and thus you won’t see the printout “Ideal and single determinant S**2” as indicated by the warning:

*** WARNING in qs_scf_post_gpw.F:1717 :: Spin contamination estimate not ***
*** implemented for k-points

Alternatively, you may check the final line of the Mulliken population analysis

# Orbital  AO symbol  Orbital population (alpha,beta)  Net charge  Spin moment
. . .
# Total charge and spin       39.000000    37.000000    -0.000000     2.000000

Best

Matthias