[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12145] Spin polarised calculation for bulk iron (16 atoms)

Ari Paavo Seitsonen ari.p.... at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 10:47:08 UTC 2019

Dear Daniele,

  My few thoughts,

  What you could use instead of "MULTIPLICITY" is the keyword
"FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT",
https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/SMEAR.html#list_FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT
, if you indeed try to force a magnetic moment. Usually this is, however,
not done but the system is let to relax its electronic structure and find
the final magnetisation self-consistently. "MULTPLICITY" is meant for
systems with well-defined electronic shells (open- or closed-shell), with a
gap between the occupied and un-occupied states, whereas with the smearing
one goes for different tools and keywords. The suggestion was to used the
keyword "MAGNETIZATION" to get a reasonable initial guess and then let the
system relax and find its magnetic moment; if you have convergence
problems, you might try with "FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT" in the first
calculation, once that converges you read the previous density (densities,
including the spin polarisation) and try without any constraint on the
magnetisation.

    Good Luck from Half-Sunny Paris,

       apsi

--