[CP2K-user] Unable to reproduce results of geometry optimisation (PM3) calculations

Salomé Llabrés salome.l... at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 11:33:55 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am trying to reproduce a tutorial that uses Gaussian with CP2K, and I
have problems reproducing the results originally achieved.

The tutorial describes a fairly simple Diels-Alder reaction using PM3
semiempirical. This is an old GROMACS tutorial that uses Gaussian98:
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/%7Eggroenh/EMBO2004/html/qmvacuum.html#top

I was able to reproduce the reactant, transition state and product energies
described in the tutorial using Gaussian09. However, when I attempted to
reproduce the results with CP2K, I do not obtain the same energy profile.

I am asking for advice on how to fix this problem and obtain reproducible
results in CP2K.

I have documented the protocol to run these simple calculations here :
https://github.com/bioexcel/cp2K_qmmm_tutorials_for_biological_simulations/tree/master/GMX_DAA

These are the results I obtained so far.

*Energy / kJ mol-1*

*Reactants*

*Transition States*

*Product*

GMX Tutorial (Gaussian98)

0.00

202.17

-34.13

Gaussian09

0.00

200.06

-36.37

CP2K

0.00

152.65

-175.81

I tried to fine-tune the parameters of the input file but I cannot find the
reason behind these different energy profiles. Here it is a list of the
different attempts to solve this problem I tried:

   - The optimiser has a very significant effect on the structure.
      - CG gets a similar structure than Gaussian.
      - BFGS leads to the structure after SO2 expulsion. This method cannot
      be used with the DIMER method.
   - SCF convergence: Using MAX_SCF 2000 is useful to converge the SCF in
   these simulations.
   - GRID CUTOFF convergence doesn't affect the accuracy of these small
   systems.

Please find attached input and output files for these files. Also you can
find the protocol used in this GitHub
environment: https://github.com/bioexcel/cp2K_qmmm_tutorials_for_biological_simulations/tree/master/GMX_DAA

Thank you very much in advance,

Salomé Llabrés, PhD