[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12294] Error with "Cholesky decompose failed"

Patrick Gono patri... at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 09:37:22 UTC 2019

Dear Jiapeng,

I managed to avoid this error by decreasing the value of EPS_PGF_ORB to
1E-10 from the default value of SQRT(EPS_DEFAULT) = 1E-5:
    &QS
      METHOD GPW ! to optimize the geometry the GPW method will be used
      EPS_PGF_ORB 1E-10
    &END QS

However, while the calculation runs, the SCF loop does not converge. I
suggest you use an orbital transformation method (section &OT). Unless you
need to deal with extra orbitals, smearing, or other methods that clash
with the use of OT, you should treat is as the preferred option. Likewise,
using an inner and an outer SCF loop will make the calculation more robust
and converge faster:

    &SCF
      MAX_SCF 100
      EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
      SCF_GUESS ATOMIC

      &OT
        MINIMIZER       CG
        PRECONDITIONER  FULL_KINETIC
      &END OT

      &OUTER_SCF
        EPS_SCF  1.0E-6
        MAX_SCF  10
      &END OUTER_SCF

    &END SCF

I attach the modified input to this email for the sake of convenience.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Gono