[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12519] Re: Dielectric constant calculation in CP2K

Ant Stone ant... at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 18:07:04 UTC 2019

Dear Vladimir:

Thank you for asking and for your interest.  Both formulae, which are
similar to each other (based on the "fluctuation" method), give me answers
of <1.  Both formulae are of the form, static dielectric constant = 1 + x
and my problem is that the x term is far too small.

I have searched through the literature quite extensively and don't see any
alternatives to the formula I provided here or the one that the CP2K
tutorial uses.  I just can't figure out why my result is so far off what it
should be.  My water density is consistent with experiments and I have
checked and rechecked my units.  I'm wondering if there is something
fundamental I don't understand about the CP2K dipole moments output.