[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12499] SCF problem on single atom adsorption

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Nov 18 10:07:32 UTC 2019

Hi

I think the problem is the initial guess. You can go with the default
(as you did) and use a robust method to start optimization.
Later on you can switch back to DIIS for geometry optimizations.

This worked for me (100 steps, then restart using DIIS needed another 75 steps)

     &OT
        MINIMIZER CG
        LINESEARCH 3PNT
        PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
     &END OT

Expert method would be to create an advanced initial guess. Single out
the adatom O as a new kind and define an initial guess using
MAGNETIZATION.

Using a convergence of 10^-6 or even 10^-5 for starting the geometry optimization
would also be an option. Tighten the criteria towards the end to get better forces.

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland