[CP2K-user] Calculation of cohesive energy and binding energy

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Thu May 23 16:25:51 UTC 2019

See methods, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07942-z

E(Li) is energy of Li atom (not ion) in gas phase. It's rather confusingly
worded in this article. You can unambiguously compute this with the same
input file as you have for graphite but with the modification,

  &POISSON
   POISSON_SOLVER  WAVELET
   PERIODIC  NONE
  &END POISSON
 &END DFT
 &SUBSYS
  &CELL
   ABC    16   16   16
   ALPHA_BETA_GAMMA   90   90   90
   PERIODIC NONE
   SYMMETRY CUBIC
  &END CELL

This is what I've used previously for (LiPF6)_2. You probably only need a
10 10 10 Angstrom box for Li. Importantly, center the coordinates in the
box. Refer to the bolded bit below to have CP2K do that for you.

  &TOPOLOGY
   COORD_FILE_FORMAT XYZ
   COORD_FILE_NAME foo.xyz
   CONN_FILE_FORMAT off

*   &CENTER_COORDINATES   &END CENTER_COORDINATES*
  &END TOPOLOGY