[CP2K-user] How to perfom zero temperature geometry optimization

Mohammad Shakiba mshakiba.... at gmail.com
Sun May 5 06:20:22 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

What is the way to set the temperature during geometry optimization? Also,
in the manual for CELL_OPT it says "*This section sets the environment for
the optimization of the simulation cell. Two possible schemes are
available: (1) Zero temperature optimization; (2) Finite temperature
optimization." *but there is no section for setting the temperature (My
system is a semiconductor).

I also used Fermi-Dirac smearing function with the following inputs but
that gives me an error after one scf step *"KS energy is an abnormal value
(NaN/Inf).".*

 SCF WAVEFUNCTION OPTIMIZATION

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
Change

     1 P_Mix/Diag. 0.40E+00   30.0     1.31109320      -882.6554194381
-8.83E+02

 *
___                                                                       *
 *  /
\                                                                      *
 *
[ABORT]
*
 *  \___/                KS energy is an abnormal value
(NaN/Inf).             *
 *
|                                                                        *
 *
O/|                                                                        *
 * /|
|                                                                        *
 * / \
qs_ks_methods.F:866 *

Can any one help me in this regard? Thanks in advance.

The smearing input section which provides the electronic temperature:

&SCF
      SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
      MAX_SCF 300
      EPS_SCF 1.0E-7