[CP2K-user] [CP2K:11881] DFT+U with Ti and O

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Mon Jun 17 14:26:51 UTC 2019

Hi Kazimieras

You will get that warning whenever you have more than six 2p electrons for O or two for the O 2s, though I assume that you want to have a Hubbard U correction for the Ti 3d states alone or for both Ti 3d and O 2p states. Other choices might not made much sense.
Mulliken is known to give orbital occupations which can be slightly larger than the limit of 2l+1 (or 4l+2 for closed shell) for some cases, e.g. more than 10 d electrons for Zn. You can ignore that warning if the occupation is only slightly larger than expected. There is a print key https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/PRINT/PLUS_U.html which prints the occupations of the orbitals for which a U value greater zero has been assigned in the input.

Matthias