[CP2K-user] [CP2K:11082] comparing CP2K-DFTB (5.1) and DFTB+ (18.2)

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Fri Jan 11 08:37:30 UTC 2019

Hi

I looked into these problems and I see that this behavior is
from a combination of bugs and hidden constraints on variables.

The bugs were introduced when the MIC was dropped after the implementation
of the k-point code. The Ewald parameters are partly set from the
input and partly set by using default values within the code.

To be on the save side I would suggest to only do DFTB calculations
with large enough computational cells. You can use
the MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL keyword if you have a small cell.
   &TOPOLOGY
      MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL ${NREP} ${NREP} ${NREP}
    &END
    &CELL
      ABC 4.0 4.0 4.0
      MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL ${NREP} ${NREP} ${NREP}
    &END CELL

I guess a cell with 10 Angstrom box length should be ok.

Use an ALPHA value that is 1 or larger and adjust GMAX for
your box size to get converged values.

I am working on fixes, they should be ready in the TRUNK version soon
and will be in the next release.

best regards

Juerg

Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland