[CP2K-user] [CP2K:11053] general normconserving UPF in CP2K

Michiel van Setten mjvan... at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:46:56 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I have run some tests on this topic and would just like to share my
experience.

I ran the pseudo-dojo 0.4 PBE Si pseudo potential combined with the the
molopt GTH DZ basis set.

It took me some time and reading the source code to find out how but
eventually cp2k ran. I now use

    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME PD04-UPF-POTENTIALS (in the &DFT section)

and

    &KIND Si
      POTENTIAL UPF PD04-UPF-POTENTIALS
      BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
    &END KIND

Comparing calculations with the same cutoff and relcutoff, only the psp is
different, I observe the following

1) I needed to turn of non linear core corrections to prevent cp2k to
segfaut in the conversion step

2) It seems the gausian fit results in many more gausians than the typical
GTH pseudo's
 - This however does not seem to deteriorate performace: calculate_rho_elec
and integrate_v_rspace take more or less the same time per iteration for
both psp's

3) I observe a somewhat improved convergence with cutoff and rel_cutoff,
comparable to what I am used to when using this pseudo in abinit

4) The electronic convergence systematically takes more steps.
 - I assume this is caused by the use of basisfunctions not optimized for
this pseudo (can someone confirm?)

5) in the case of the UPF pseudo I see an additional  read_qs_kind in the
timing report, I assume this is the part where the upf is read and fitted.
I assume it should be possible to do this fit once and safe the GTH format.

Any comment is welcome.

Please let me know if someone thinks I'm polluting this channel ;-)

thanks for reading,
Michiel