[CP2K-user] EXTERNAL_PRESSURE

Ivan Scivetti ivansc... at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:26:22 UTC 2019

Dear CP2K community,

For cell optimization one has the option of EXTERNAL_PRESSURE. In the
manual it is explained that this input parameter should be set as a list of
values, which I assume they represent the components of a tensor. I find
this a bit confusing since pressure is an scalar and equal to the trace of
the stress tensor. Still, in the special case of isotropic systems, each
diagonal component is equal to the external pressure. Indeed, this seems to
be the default case  for EXTERNAL_PRESSURE, where each diagonal component
is set to 100 bars. My question is the following: how should
EXTERNAL_PRESSURE be defined for an hexagonal cell with a=b neq c, with
alpha=beta=90 and gamma=120 degrees?

Thanks a lot in advance