[CP2K-user] Convergence problems with DFT+U in NPT ensemble

Ivan Scivetti ivansc... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:18:46 UTC 2019

Dear CP2K community,

I am computing a transition metal oxide for which I am applying DFT+U
corrections in a supercell composed of 384 atoms.
To analyse structural properties at room temperature (295K) and standard
pressure (1 atm) I need to carry out MD simulations. Due to the complexity
of the system (of hexagonal symmetry), I start with the *NVT* ensemble and
eventually reach equilibration. Electronic convergence runs smoothly and
efficiently with the OT scheme. Since I do not know the range of the
supercell volumes that corresponds to a pressure of 1atm, I started from
the experimental values but, as expected, I get average pressures of the
order of 500 to 1000 bars depending on the composition of the system. I
could keep trying with different volumes and approach to the desire 1 atm
pressure. This task, however, is very demanding and rather cumbersome.
I then decided to consider the *NPT_F* ensemble. However, the electronic
DFT+U energy starts increasing significantly during the first steps of the
simulation and, eventually, convergence problems start to manifest due to
the Mulliken population analysis, with a negative contribution to the DFT+U
energy. I could also try the LOWDIN method for charges but forces are not
available for this scheme. Thus, it seems that my settings for the NPT_F
ensemble are not appropriate for this DFT+U simulation. I describe the
relevant MD settings of the input file below:

*&Motion*
*  &MD*
*    Timestep 0.5*
*    Steps 2000*
*    Ensemble NPT_F*
*    Temperature 300.0*
*    &Thermostat*
*       REGION massive*
*       TYPE CSVR*
*       &CSVR*
*         TIMECON [fs] 10.*
*       &END CSVR*
*    &End Thermostat*

*   &Barostat*
*     Pressure 1.0*

*     TIMECON [fs] 10.*

*   &End barostat*

*&End Motion*

 The message I obtain is the following
* *** WARNING in dft_plus_u.F:1457 :: DFT+U energy contibution is negative
****
* *** possibly due to unphysical Mulliken charges. Check your input, if
****
* *** this warning persists or try a different method!
 ****

Again, this problems does not arise with NVT simlation, only with NPT. I am
wondering if I need of an extra flag in the motion/thermostat session to
"tame" the MD run and the electronic convergence. I have carried out an
extensive research in the web but it seems there is no previous record of
such a type of simulation with CP2K.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Ivan