[CP2K-user] Weird orbitals from ROKS

Xiaoming Wang wxia... at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 20:13:44 UTC 2019

Hello,

I find that the molecular orbitals from ROKS calculations are sometimes
very weird.
For example, as in the attached Fig, for structure I, the red arrow site is
expected
to have s character for HOMO and p character for LUMO. This is true for the
case
of UKS. But for ROKS, the plot is very weird. The HOMO and LUMO are similar
but
with different orientations. However, for some structures, the ROKS
orbitals are
reasonable, as shown for Structure II in the right plot. According to my
experience,
as long as the p orbital (or the bond connection) is along any of the
cartesian axes,
the MOs turn out to be reasonable for ROKS. Any explanations for that?

Best,
Xiaoming Wang