[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12591] Hybrid DFT for TiO2 surface

Patrick Gono patri... at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:04:42 UTC 2019

Dear Siva,

The computation of the exchange integrals is very costly, and, naively,
scales as O(N^4) with the basis set size N. Hence, the ADMM method
introduces an auxiliary, smaller basis to compute the exchange integrals.
What this means in practice is that you can use large, high quality basis
sets (like the MOLOPT basis sets mentioned in your question), and then
specify a smaller auxiliary basis for your elements to enable the ADMM
method, and speed up the HF calculations.

I recommend you read the tutorial on hybrid functionals and the ADMM method
here:
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2017_uzh_cp2k-tutorial:hybrid#auxiliary_density_matrix_methods_admm

Apart from including the &AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD section in the
appropriate place, you need to choose which auxiliary basis sets you want
to use for each element.
In this presentation:
https://www.cp2k.org/_media/events:2015_user_meeting:cp2k-uk-2015-ling.pdf
the ADMM basis sets are explained, and the input file structure is given as
well.

For your convenience, I attach an input file for TiO2 using PBE0 and the
ADMM method, as well as the basis files BASIS_ADMM and BASIS_ADMM_MOLOPT,
which contain the auxiliary basis sets.

As a side note, if you are using an older version of CP2K, you may need to
specify the auxiliary basis sets via:
AUX_FIT_BASIS_SET ...
instead of:
BASIS_SET AUX_FIT ...