[CP2K-user] [CP2K:10218] Spin polarised calculation for bulk iron (16 atoms)

Daniele Ongari daniel... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:43:49 UTC 2019

Hi Tiziano,
I'm interested in this topic because I have problem to make materials
(MOFs) with Fe converge and I want to start to the bulk Fe as a test case.

I wonder how your suggestion is supposed to work (I'm using CP2K-5.1 too).
1) Without specifying the system MULTIPLICITY this is by default 0 (which
is treated as 1 in CP2K) that means that no broken symmetry is occurring:
spin1 and spin2 will be rescaled and basically the effect of specifying the
MAGNETIZATION is null
2) If considering that the system has 16 Fe atoms, one used 1+16*2.3= 37.8
as MULTIPLICITY (assuming ferromagnetic configuration), CP2K aborts with
the error "An integer type object was expected".

So, how can someone specify a MAGNETIZATION that doesn't sum up into an
integer total magnetization?

The problem I see is another, that I'm not able to make the calculation
converge with MAGNETIZATION 2 and MULTIPICITY 1+16*2=33 (so no problems
with non-integer numbers), but this is a problem to solve in the &MIXING
section, right?
Do you have any working settings for make the bulk Fe converge? I think you
managed to do so for the Delta-test of Stefaan Cottenier.

Thank you very much for your help

Daniele