[CP2K-user] Problems in geometry optimization

Daniele Passerone dpass... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:26:58 UTC 2019

Dear Chn

Apart from the size of the cell that could give you some trouble, the
problem is the keyword

CHARGE 1

that you added in the &DFT section, meaning that you are simulating a
charged system. Removing that would work.

Indeed in the output we see:

                          Hirshfeld Charges

  #Atom  Element  Kind  Ref Charge     Population                    Net
charge

      1       Pt     1      18.000         17.750
0.250

      2       Pt     1      18.000         17.750
0.250

      3       Pt     1      18.000         17.750
0.250

      4       Pt     1      18.000         17.750
0.250

  Total Charge
1.000

Also not necessary is the constraint on the position of one atom that you
have in the optimization section.
In general you should also vary the cell volume and find what is the
equilibrium volume for the PBE functional.
Hope this helps

Daniele