[CP2K-user] Cholesky decompose failed in all-electron calculation with preconditioning

Daniele Passerone dpass... at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 08:32:21 UTC 2019

Dear community,

I am running a simulation of a sodium aluminate (NaAlO2) crystal,
orthorombic, and since I will need to obtain core-level spectroscopy
results I am running this system with GAPW and all-electron scheme.

Unfortunately, I keep getting the following error at the very beginning of
the SCF, using OT or diagonalization, with any preconditioning scheme:

*Cholesky decompose failed: the matrix is not positive definite or
ill-conditioned. *

I have tried the following basis sets:

OK: 3-21Gx

6-31Gx

6-31Gxx

6-31++Gxx

6-311Gxx

6-311++G2d2p

6-311++G3df3pd

OK: Ahlrichs-VDZ

OK: Ahlrichs-VTZ

OK: Ahlrichs-pVDZ

Ahlrichs-TZV

Ahlrichs-pTZV

Roos-ADZ-ANO

Roos-ATZ-ANO

and I get the error for ALL of them excepted the ones preceded by "OK:" in
the list.

The error is persisting both slightly randomizing the coordinates or with a
2x2x2 supercell.

Attached input file and coordinates. Without preconditioning it works, but
with extremely difficult convergence. A wavefunction from the
non-preconditioned run can be used as a GUESS, but when preconditioning is
switched on, the error appears again.

Any help with this is appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,

Daniele Passerone