[CP2K-user] Cell Optimization for Copper.

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 06:21:27 UTC 2019

Hi,

Firstly, your initial cell parameters should be the same as the structure
you downloaded. You don't need vacuum to optimize the bulk. If you are
trying to mimic having a larger grid, set a larger REF_CELL instead.

For cell optimization you need a large supercell or you need kpoints,

1) MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL X Y Z in both &CELL and &TOPOLOGY sections
2) KPOINTS as below

&DFT
 &KPOINTS
  FULL_GRID
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-6_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/KPOINTS.html#list_FULL_GRID>
  SCHEME
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-6_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/KPOINTS.html#list_SCHEME>
MONKHORST-PACK X Y Z
 &END KPOINTS
&END DFT

EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-8 is usually set smaller as well (default is 1e-10). The
kpoint route should converge within just a handful of optimization steps,
supposing your stopping criteria are comparable to VASP. Then generate your
slab.

-T