How to accelerate the calculation of pdos ?

Tianshu Jiang in Beijing jts2t... at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:41:07 UTC 2018

Hi everyone in cp2k community,

I am using cp2k to calculate the pdos of graphene, but the time spent to
completing the calculation when I use 1 core and 12 cores is the same.
The version I compile is Linux-x86-64-gfortran, and I use cp2k.psmp to
finish the job.
But from the *.out file I get that in both situation (1 core and 12 cores),
the job finished after half an hour from beginning.
My question is how can I accelerate the calculation using parallel
computing ?

The following is my inputfile. Thanks for your reply !
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT trilayerABCIso
  RUN_TYPE ENERGY
  PRINT_LEVEL MEDIUM
&END GLOBAL

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep
  &DFT
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME  BASIS_MOLOPT
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME  POTENTIAL

    &POISSON
      PERIODIC XYZ
    &END POISSON
    &SCF
      SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
      EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
      MAX_SCF 300

      # The following settings help with convergence:
      ADDED_MOS 100
      CHOLESKY INVERSE
      &SMEAR ON
        METHOD FERMI_DIRAC
        ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE [K] 300
      &END SMEAR
      &DIAGONALIZATION
        ALGORITHM STANDARD
        EPS_ADAPT 0.01
      &END DIAGONALIZATION
      &MIXING
        METHOD BROYDEN_MIXING
        ALPHA 0.2
        BETA 1.5
        NBROYDEN 8
      &END MIXING
    &END SCF
    &XC
      &XC_FUNCTIONAL PBE
      &END XC_FUNCTIONAL
    &END XC
    &PRINT
      &PDOS
        # print all projected DOS available:
        NLUMO -1
        # split the density by quantum number:
        COMPONENTS
      &END
      &E_DENSITY_CUBE ON
          STRIDE 1 1 1
      &END E_DENSITY_CUBE
    &END PRINT
  &END DFT

  &SUBSYS
    &CELL
      # create a hexagonal unit cell:
      ABC  [angstrom] 2.4612 2.4612 26.72
      ALPHA_BETA_GAMMA 90. 90. 60.
      SYMMETRY HEXAGONAL
      PERIODIC XYZ
      # and replicate this cell (see text):
      MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL 6 6 1
    &END CELL
    &TOPOLOGY
      # also replicate the topology (see text):
      MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL 6 6 1
    &END TOPOLOGY
    &COORD
      SCALED