[CP2K:10716] Unphysical results with custom Mg basis set

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthia... at psi.ch
Tue Sep 11 13:37:15 UTC 2018

Hi Richard

Firstly, there are basis sets for Mg available in the data file cp2k/data/BASIS_MOLOPT_UCL prepared by S. Ling. These might be a good starting point for further customisation. The ATOM module of CP2K provides tools to optimise GTH PPs and Gaussian basis sets compatible with CP2K. You may want to have a look at this tutorial<https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2015_cecam_tutorial:basis_set_optimisation_using_optimize_basis>. 4 or 5 primitive Gaussians should be sufficient for Mg GTH-q2 PP to obtain a converged atomic energy and roughly 8 primitive Gaussian functions should be fine for a Mg GTH-q10 PP with 10 valence electrons. More primitive Gaussians will only increase the computational cost and introduce linear dependencies into the basis set. Note, that the accuracy of the Mg GTH-q2 PP with just 2 valence electrons is clearly inferior compared to the GTH-q10 PP. That might matter when Mg plays any role in your simulation beyond being just a counterion.

Matthias