[CP2K-user] [CP2K:10796] Transition state search with DIMER METHOD

luca lcb... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:39:04 UTC 2018

Hi Stefano,
the dimer method does not work like the Hessian-Newton-Raphson method
where the Hessian is evaluated at the beginning of the calculation etc.
DM follows the local curvature of the potential energy and the research
direction is locally evaluated at each research step, not just an
update. Therefore, it is not mandatory to know the geometry of the
reagents/products.
At the starting point it is not necessary to know the right "direction"
of the reaction, because DM is able to find it by itself.
These are the main features of the method!

NEB is not the right choice if you do not have a reliable starting/
ending point of the reaction.
I do not know your experience, but DM is quite complex and I would
suggest reading the works of G. Henkelman
(http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/henkelman/research/saddle)

Bests,