BLYP water: recommended XC_DERIV and XC_SMOOTH_RHO smoothing

Oliver Gittus oliver... at gmail.com
Sat May 5 17:21:41 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I would like to simulate MD systems containing organic molecules (C,H,O
only) and water using BLYP (doing some thermodynamic integration). I
eventually intend to scale up to systems containing hundreds of atoms, and
so am looking at a moderate cutoff of 400 Ry or so, in the NVT ensemble so
no flexible cell. I cannot find a clear evaluation of the options for
XC_DERIV and XC_SMOOTH_RHO. Are there any accepted combination(s)?

NN50 smoothing seems to be recommended for water in doi: 10.1063/1.3651474,
but as far as I can tell, they do not specify XC_DERIV. Is smoothing
required for XC_DERIV?

The smoothing was first introduced in doi:10.1016/j.cpc.2004.12.014. In
this paper, S^10 – D^6(S^6)^(-1) performed quite well. Am I correct in
thinking this corresponds to XC_SMOOTH_RHO NN50 (nearest neighbour
smoothing operator S^50) and XC_DERIV NN6  (D^6(S^6)^(-1)).

What are the qualitative differences between there different options for
XC_DERIV and XC_SMOOTH_RHO?

Thanks,

Oliver