cp2k hangs with large system

Fernan Saiz fsai... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:35:35 UTC 2018

Dear All,
I have been experiencing a problem with cp2k for large systems of around
1,000 atoms, in which this code prints no data at the beginning of SCF
cycle as shown in the attached file log.out. I am using a cp2k version
compiled with Intel compilers 2017 at my institution's HPC systems. It is
strange to me that sometimes cp2k runs fine with a different set of nuclei
positions while keeping untouched the rest of the parameters. However, I
need to restart my run (see ape-water.inp) to continue with the NVT
simulation for several ps. It also strikes me that I have never faced this
problem when using a version built with CRAY compilers on the UK's ARCHER
supercomputer. As an alternative, I have compiled cp2k with gcc and openmpi
modules (I received your helped in this forum a few days ago for this
compilation), but my code is much slower than that built with Intel
Compilers, which makes it not suitable for my purposes. I have also played
with the OpenMP vs MPI load in the PBS file, but I got no luck. Therefore,
I would really appreciate some advice on how to correct this problem, if
possible.

Best regards,
 - Fernan Saiz, PhD
Department of Chemistry