cp2k geometry optimization energy not decreasing

Matt W mattwa... at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 19:58:15 UTC 2018

Nothing is badly wrong at a quick look. But there are a some things in your
input that could be improved.

I think the most important thing is to improve your forces  - use a larger
CUTOFF value, this
<https://www.cp2k.org/events:2018_summer_school:converging_cutoff> might be
helpful.

Use a better minimizer, especially if you restart from near the minima
already found - I'd suggest removing all the GEO_OPT options to use the
default BFGS optimizer.

Just for efficiency, you don't need such a large box, I don't think. 5
angstrom away from any atom should be enough.

Matt